Kyivstar services are so popular that sometimes lawbreakers try to get them free of charge at other subscribers’ cost. Kyivstar does its best to protect its customers from unfair mobile services users so it actively counteracts the mobile fraud.
We strongly recommend our subscribers to be very careful when they receive some suspicious offers and, upon necessity, check all the information by calling 0 800 300 466 (Calls are free from all phones within Ukraine). All the information about the company’s special offers you can find at our website.
Mobile Fraud Types
Please, find below the information about the most popular types of mobile fraud not to swallow the bait of mobile swindlers.
- Victory at a non-existent event
A subscriber receives a short message as if from the provider’s number informing the subscriber that he has won a valuable prize and should transfer a small amount of money to a specific number or call the number in order to get the prize.
Our recommendation:Do not hurry to transfer the money or send any personal data to the third persons! If you have received such a message or a call informing about your victory, please, check reliability of the information. Call 0 800 300 466 to the provider’s Service Desk and specify all the details.
Please, pay your attention to the fact that any Kyivstar advertising event always covers a large territory and corresponds to the corporate standards. Therefore, be very careful if a private person or a doubtful advertisement asks you to do something with you mobile phone, especially if you are asked to do something with the costs on your mobile account balance.
Kyivstar is a big company, so all our actions are honest, transparent and large-scale.
- “Simple” passwords usage
It is well-known that apassword(Frenchparole— a word) — is a secret word or sequence of symbols verifying the person or his authorities. The evil-doers which get your password receive all the user’s rights.
How do they do it?
- Directenumeration. They enumerate possible admissive symbols in the password. For example, such passwords as “qwerty” or “12345” are very easy to guess being the first buttons at your key-board.
- Dictionary search. The method is based on the supposition that the password includes existing words from a dictionary or their combination with possible symbols adding or changing. For example, the following passwords: “password”, “default”, “guest”, “ivan1234”, “p@ssw0rd”, double words “stopstop”, “passpass”
- Social engineering method. The method is based on the assumption that the user has used his personal data for the password, such as his name, surname, birthdate, etc. For example, “ivpetrov123”, “1/1/1970”, phone number, personal ID code, city.
Despite all the importance of creation a rather complicated password, about 40% Internet users create the passwords which can be automatically guessed.
Our recommendations: Taking into account the evil-doers’ methods we advise you the following rules and criteria assuring your password safety:
- The password shall not be very short as it will be easy to guess. In general the password should include not less than 8 symbols.
- The password should not include only figures.
- The password should not be a word which can be found in a dictionary or a combination of such words.
- The password shall not include the common available information about the user.
It would be good if the password would include letters (various capitalization), figures and special symbols (#, $,*, etc.)
Do not use one and the same password for more than one account.
Do not give your login and password to the third persons.
Use antivirus programs.
Change your accounts passwords on a regular basis.
- SMS messages delivery to Kyivstar subscribers
More and more often we deal with mass messages delivery to the subscribers. Such SMS messages cam mislead subscribers and provoke them to install harmful software for mobile phones which causes connection with short numbers as well as illegal costs transfer from the subscribers’ accounts.
We recommend:Do not hurry following the link. First of all, contact the provider to check the services provided by short numbers (at the website or calling to 0 800 300 466). Kyivstar will check the information provided and take necessary measures. The content-provide responsible for the illegal messages delivery will be punished.
- SIM card theft
Your mobile phone together with a SIM card has been stolen (or you have lost your phone together with the SIM card). The evil-doers, using your SIM card can make calls, use bank services or redirect calls to the expensive international numbers. As a result you will have a huge negative balance, especially if you have lost your phone abroad.
We recommend:As soon as you have found that you’d lost your phone, please, call 0 800 300 466 and block your SIM card.
- Mobile viruses
The subscriber receives the message, often if he used the mobile Internet to visit the social media, from his friend (or any other person). The message may be the following: „Hi, how are you? ХХХ program does not work at my PC. Please, download it and check what the matter is”. If you are very curious and follow the link, you run the risk to catch a virus for you telephone or smartphone. It may have various consequences: starting from the antivirus program damage and sending spam on your behalf and ending with getting the access to your confidential information by the evil-doers, considerable increase of traffic usage and change for the worse of the Internet access as well as possible service fees increasing.
We recommend:Be careful when you download not verified or doubtful applications, programs or if you follow the link to unknown viruses. You should not open and launch files of the unknown origin. Check the information following the recommendations and advise of the users in the Internet or just visit the company’s official website. Close correctly the applications and programs as well as the Internet browser and do not follow the doubtful links. Be careful and check the correct spelling of the link not to go to the websites created by the evil-doers the spelling of which slightly differentiates from the well-known resources. If the downloaded application offers you participation in the event, sale, questionnaire and you should send SMS message or provide other information (PIN code, password, top up code) we would advise you to visit the company’s official website.
- Money demand
According to the fraud scheme the evil-doers call to the subscriber’s relatives (most often at night) and say them that their close person is in trouble and needs lots of money. The money should be transferred to the number or delivered by hand as soon as possible. The gullible people, for example, the “victim’s” parents under the influence of emotions transfer the money to the swindlers’ account or deliver the sizable amount by hand and even do not try to check validity of the information. Our recommendations: One of the simplest rules is always try to keep calm. First of all call your friend/relative and ask if he really is in trouble and needs your help. Keep your eyes open when you receive such messages.
- How to protect oneself from fraud in My Kyivstar system
Kyivstar takes care about your personal data protection. To assure the complete safety while working with My Kyivstar self-service system we use innovative technologies and methods.
- To enter the system you need your personal login and password.
- HTTPS protocolsupports data transmission encryption. Software and technology complexes development and instalment are done on the basis of high quality professional equipment of national and foreign manufacturers’.
- Unauthorized access protection function.If you do not perform any actions during 10 minutes period upon your log in to the system, the current session will be terminated to protect your personal data. To continue the session log in one more time. Moving the page by means of scroll function is considered to be the idle time.
To assure complete protection of your personal data we advise you to take the following preventive measures:
- Do not give your login and password to the third persons.
- If you think that your login and password have become available to the third parties, take advantage of the system functionality and change your password. You can do it on your own any time.
- As soon as you register in the system, you will receive the SMS message with the initial password allowing your access to the system. Please, do not forward such informationto anyone as all the personal data and information about your subscriber number will become available to the third persons.
- Do not save your password in a browseryou use to access the Internet. Moreover, do not use an automatic filling function in the browser.
- Use the button/link “Sign Out” if you want to finish your work in the system. Do not close the browser without signing out. It protects your personal data.
- Install modernantivirus software and personal firewall (brandmauer) at your PC. Update your antivirus database and security certificates in due time. It allows prevention of unauthorised access to your computer.
- Check the date and time of your last signing in My Kyivstar system.If you have noticed that someone else has used your profile to sign in the system, change the system access password as soon as possible.
- When you sharing Wi-Fi without password protection, first of all, we recommended to sign out of your account – click the Exit (do not collapse) button. It is important to remember when you share Wi-Fi without accession limited, you are giving access to the phone to other users.
- Top up cards fraud
Kyivstar does its best to protect its customers from unfair mobile services users so it actively counteracts the mobile fraud.
Dear subscribers, please, be attentive when your buy Kyivstar account top up cards (hereinafter referred to as a Card). Kyivstar recommends following some simple rules to protect you from possible illegal actions:
- Buy the Card at specialized sales points distributing Kyivstar and other providers’ cards;
- If you buy the Card at any other places try to top up your account and check its balance in the seller’s presence immediately upon the purchase;
- Upon the Card purchase receive a cashier’s receipt verifying the fact of purchase at this sales point. Keep the receipt till you get the provider’s confirmation of your account top up;
- If you have any technical problems while topping up your account by the purchased card (erased top up code figures by accident, mechanic damage of the Card, etc.), please, call the number 0 800 300 466 of your provider and get the information how you can renovate the top up code;
- If you have any other problems while topping up the account by the purchased card (the Card has been used before, it is a fake Card), please, contact immediately the sales point where you have bought this Card. If you have such and the like problems you can complain directly the customers’ rights protection committee and law enforcement authorities;
- 6We advise you to read carefully the account top up rules written at the back of each Card. Please, remember that the top up code written on the Card is considered to be confidential information and shall not be given to any third person, even if the party states it declares on behalf of Kyivstar.
Let us remind you that Kyivstar has never conducted and will never conduct any events according to the rules of which the code shall be given or the money shall be transferred to the provider or any other third person.
Please, remember that only your responsible attitude towards your account top up may become a reliable protection of your mobile phone form evil-doers.
What should you do if you have swallowed the bait of mobile swindlers?
- Inform the law enforcement authorities about the incident by calling to102 and Kyivstar by calling to 0 800 300 466 as soon as possible.
If you submit the application to the company and provide all the necessary documents in due time and your costs will be found on his account, the swindler’s account will be blocked and the money returned to the owner. If there will be no costs on the account, you shall provide the court decision to receive them back.
The main rules to avoid swallowing the bait of mobile swindlers:
- Do not rely on the information you receive from strangers via your mobile phone, always check it
- Do not give your top up codes to strangers
- Do not give your login and password to My Kyivstar system to the third parties
- Check the services provided by short numbers at the provider’s website or by calling to 0 800 300 466.
- For your own safety and protection of your personal data from the swindlers set up a PIN code for the SIM card and a password to block your phone.
Keep your eyes open and do not hesitate to contact us to get a recommendation or piece of advice.